Monday, December 28, 2015

Behaviour Expectations and How to Teach Them

Students who make academic mistakes are given time to review, relearn, and reassess until they master the content. But with students who fail to meet behavior expectations, more often than not we respond by assuming willful disobedience, removing students from the classroom, and assigning disciplinary consequences. When our typical responses for behavior are applied to academic issues, it's easy to see the disparity.
Because educators are well trained to deal with academic failures and missteps, we know that this isn't the way to handle the issues with an academic assignment. Somehow, though, it's become an acceptable way to address student behavior.
The "He Was Told So He Should Know" Problem. 
From your reading piece/extracts, paraphrase your learning in no less than 50 words. Add in from your own practices of how you teach behaviour expectations in your classroom. How successful have these practices been? 
As an expectation, please comment on 2 other posts from your colleagues on this topic. 
 

34 comments:

  1. Hi all. This is a fantastic platform for all of us to exchange our views and share the best practices leading to the betterment of our students in the teaching-learning process.
    I would like to begin by putting in a nutshell what I learnt from the reading piece. I found it extremely helpful to us as teachers since all of us at some point of time struggle to set the basic classroom procedures right. It was not only about setting the procedures but also about reiterating and reinforcing them so that the students become familiarized with them. It is all about having clear expectations of students to avoid vagueness and disparity. Out of all the strategies that Mrs Maestra uses to eliminate challenging behaviour in her classroom during transitions , I found reducing the count to lesser number gradually, very appealing. I think that we definitely set the behavioural expectations of our students but usually forget to go back to them and alter them by reviewing the success made by our students in meeting those expectations. In addition to that it's imperative for all of us to make our classrooms 'no failure class' since it not only boosts students' confidence but also make the classroom environment very positive and conducive. I could relate to all the strategies she uses because all of them are applicable to very ususal classroom situations we come across with our students like sharpening a pencil, high noise levels, students' 'I can't' responses, students' committing mistakes as well as giving correct responses and getting them in line/started. I would personally like to implement all(some of them are already in use) in my classroom and I'm sure it will work me rather us wonders.
    I feel that every teacher teaching a particular class (of course having same behavioural expectations of students) must share her expectations of the students and the set procedures with each other so that students can be trained by every teacher and the reinforcement becomes even more productive and effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly agree with your view Khushboo.
      I would like to add that the mantra of 'Repeat' and 'Replicate' would be an addition in our practices in order to drill our individual behavior expectations in class.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you Kushboo as teachers we need to share the best practice, and help each other. As teachers we need to train ourself to speak briefly, this helps the students to explain to their friends any topic that they found that was difficult.

      Delete
    3. Well Said Khushboo it is really important to reinforce the strategies regularly in the classroom in order to have a conducive environment for learning.

      Delete
    4. As rightly said by Khushboo, setting basic classroom procedures and routines are the key to a well-managed, organized classroom and need to be reiterated from time to time and consistently upgraded. I would suggest spending a lot of time teaching our classroom procedures, practicing them with our students, and reinforcing them during the first 2 days of school of the new academic year would be beneficial. Homeroom teachers may get together with the subject teachers before the start of the school year to agree upon a set of uniform procedures.

      Delete
    5. Rightly said, Kushboo its really important to set the classroom procedures to inculcate the roots of discipline in the children. Being in the profession of teaching, we need to put in our efforts to train the children right from the beginning. Teacher must share their set of expectations and procedures with other teachers to bring in uniformity, reinforcement and productive effect.

      Delete
    6. As Ms.khusboo has covered all the major points which we all do agree with and are also struggling with as well as trying our level best to bring the best out of our students.Another things which i would like to add when we struggle during teaching and learning is repetation of page numbers.That is another great Strategy which Ms.Maestra has shared with us is instead of teacher repeating the page number again and again let the students repeat it.This is also 1 of the great idea to be applied which I have already started.

      Delete
  2. Hi Everybody.Thanking one and all who have made it possible and given an opportunity to all the teachers to express their views and opinions.This collaborative learning will definitely help us grow each day.
    Classroom Management and management of student conduct are skills that teachers acquire and hone over time. To be sure, effective teaching requires considerable skill in managing the myriad of tasks and situations that occur in the classroom each day. Skills such as effective classroom management are central to teaching and require "common sense," consistency, a sense of fairness, and courage. These skills also require that teachers understand in more than one way the psychological and developmental levels of their students. The skills associated with effective classroom management are only acquired with practice, feedback, and a willingness to learn from mistakes. Classroom teachers with many years of experience have contributed to an understanding of what works and what doesn't work in managing classrooms and the behavior of students. These 4 pointers would help in setting up behavior expectations in class.
    1. Know what you want and what you don't want.
    2. Show and tell your students what you want.
    3. When you get what you want, acknowledge it.
    4. When you get something else, act quickly and appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classroom Management and management of student conduct are skills that need to be mastered. A teacher is always on a life long journey of learning.Rightly said, Famida

      Delete
    2. very true Nafisa when we teach it is difficult to forget, but involving the student while teaching makes all the difference.That is activity based teaching plays a major role.

      Delete
    3. I totally agree with Famida, management of students can be achieved over the time. we should give time and space to the students for the change.

      Delete
  3. Ben Franklin said “Tell me and I will forget, teach me and I will remember, involve me and I will learn.”
    I found this strategy an effective learning experience for the students, teaching students to copy gestures and mimic the emotion in the tone of the voice of the teacher.
    You present information to the students complete with gestures. When you finish, look at the class and clap twice, say “Teach!”As your students teach each other, move around the room listening to what they are saying. This is an excellent opportunity to monitor student comprehension. Then, call them back to attention with the Class-Yes! If you are not convinced your students have understood your lesson, repeat it. Otherwise, go on to the next small group of points.
    This strategy will give the students the opportunity to retain the information.Students find their natural way of understanding by teachings their peers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you Nafisa children do mimic our gestures. and to gain their attention the strategies mentioned by you are really essential.
      the idea of using different strategies to ensure learning happens as per the needs of the individual child.

      Delete
  4. Hello everyone its a great idea to create a blog that all of us can share our experiences and practices. Teaching our students the class rules, posting them at the front of the room and rehearsing them several times laid a strong foundation for class behaviour.
    I have introduced reward system in my class, children are appreciated infront of the class. The reward system has helped me managing in behavioural concerns of my class. A classroom procedure is an activity that we want our students to perform many times in a day. A rule is a general principle that guides behaviour. The more smoothly your class performs common procedures, the less opportunity there is for challenging behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading the chapter Mirror, Hands and Eyes. I have realized how essential it is for the teacher to use the right gestures to get the attention of the students.
    making learning an enjoyable experience it is important for the teacher to have 100% attention of the class. Teachers tone, voice modulation hand movements everything matters.

    To make a strong point using hands and eyes really works. Asking the children to drop everything and listen works too.

    As teachers we do use most of the strategies, however it is important to repeat them consistently in every class. Children tend to forget hence it is important we keep reinforcing the classroom procedures.
    After reading Mrs Maestras chapter I have also started using the teach technique, this gives confidence to the learners as self learning happens.

    When we use different strategies it is important to even reward positive behavior. Hence having scoreboards in every class will help. Having counts for common classroom procedure also works.

    I will summarize with the quote by Christa McAuliffe- " I touch the future. I teach."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mellisa, as you said The positive reinforcement is essential.They can understand that the good behavior gets better attention. It is highly important to reward for the good deeds as that encourages the students to compete for a better behavior.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Mellisa and Gouri. It is important to reward the students, but it should not condition their minds to the reward so much that they would not perform unless they are assured of rewards.

      Delete
  6. Hi everyone it is a wonderful opportunity given to us to share our views and ideas through this channel.
    Among all the ideas which Mrs. Maestra has shared with us I personally liked 2 of them. First is expressing of “it’s cool” where the child will never feels shy or hesitate to share his/her ideas in front of the class. Even if somewhere he/she goes wrong ; saying of this term will not let his confidence go down. Second idea which I liked where the child tries to maintain his confidence by saying “I can’t yet”. And he keeps trying to prove his best. But for both the ideas to work successfully the teacher should keep reinforcing these terms.
    Since I am new to the institution, this is an add on to my enriching experience here at NMS. Every time I get to notice some new strategy coming out whether it is classroom management or conducting an activity based on leaning new concepts. It’s a great learning. I have started using few basic classroom management strategies like class class ! yes yes !!! , tapping on head chicks , clapping etc. The strategy which I as an individual use is scoring each group with stars, smileys and points on the board. Using this strategy creates a competitive atmosphere among the groups. This strategy works in cases such as 1.questioning and answer session, 2.discussions or 3.classroom mgmt. The group which proves up to any among the 3 mentioned will get a star, smiley or points like +1, +5 etc.
    Looking forward to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree with you Neha and liked Mrs. Maestra ideas. In today's world children are expressive and also very sensitive. We as teachers need to identify their right note to improvise their best.

      Delete
    2. Neha, despite being fresh and new to the environment and culture , it is delightful to read your post where you have brought in your insight into the setting up of classroom procedures. I am glad that you have already put some of the best practices to use. I hope they are working out for you. Needless to say, what works for others might not work for you. So, always have a clear understanding of the individual needs of your students and then set expectations. I wish you all the best and I am sure you will emerge as a stellar teacher.

      Delete
  7. The article ’Daily classroom procedures’ conveys common classroom management techniques and numerous strategies as to what to do instead. I believe that Mrs. Maestra’s techniques will be beneficial in the context of developing and implementing a comprehensive classroom management plan. We may set these effective classroom management tips to manage disruptive behaviour with confidence. It’s crucial to be consistent in our practice of these classroom management techniques. When students know what to expect from us, and what we expect from them, they’re more likely to be productive learners.

    In the short-attention span world we live in, it can be harder than ever to keep students excited and engrossed in learning. Applying innovative learning and attention-management techniques to classes is a win-win for both students and teachers. Teaching students visualization skills help them understand, recall and think critically about subjects they study.

    Apart from all the above facts, we as teachers, need to know each student as an individual and build relationships with them based on trust and understanding. We need to ensure to let our compassion for each student reflect through our nonverbal behaviour and our paraverbal communication.

    Give respect and Take respect!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Sakhi, its important to implement and practice positive teaching practice that involves learning and attention of students. Also at the same time , build a trustworthy and caring relationship with them.

      Delete
    2. I agree Sakhi, we need to know each student and build a rapport of trust and understanding among.

      Delete
    3. Very well said Sakhi, the consistency is the key for the classroom management. As you mentioned it helps creating a bond stronger. The teacher's reaction is predictable to the students which makes them to think before they take any action as they try not to disappoint their teacher.

      Delete
    4. Yes I do agree with Ms.Sakshi of making them practice these activities on a constant basis so that the children get aware of our strategies and come to know that the teacher is coming up with something new.

      Delete
  8. Hi everyone, it is a learning and wonderful opportunity for me to share Mrs. Maestra’s teaching through this platform.
    “Mirror, Hands and Eyes” chapter is based on students - imitating the motions taught, in a lesson using their motor cortex. In general, there are basically 3 kinds of motor gestures – a) Casual when we use hand motions b) Graphic that is matching your gestures to exactly what we are saying and c) Memory wherein the gestures are linked to core or state standards.
    Mrs. Maestra points out 5 brain activities when students are involved in learning effectively: seeing (motor cortex), saying(broca’s area), hearing(wernicke’s area), doing(motor cortex) and feeling(limbic system). Also she states as teachers taking charge of the class and use the real trick to keep students involve. For example – Setting class rules and enforcing it regularly, training oneself to speak briefly and let the students take the lead, effective use of the scoreboard to track academic and behavioral growth of students etc.
    At the end what it matters is - that the class is completely involved (linking up) and also involvement and learning of the individuals. Effective classroom strategy needs to be implemented by the teacher to make each student shine positively and confidently in the world.
    I would like to conclude with a quote which says – There are 2 ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror for reflecting light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello everyone. I would first like to thank the NMS to create a PLD blog. It provides an opportunity to learn and share materials that would help to grow and improve in creating an excellent class room environment.
    The technique mentioned by Mrs. Maestra, in ‘Mirror Hands and Eyes’ is very useful and effective. To gain full attention of the class children and to make learning enjoyable it is essential for us to use the technique in our class rooms. It is also important to speak briefly and repeat the instructions. As teaching is repeating. The teacher must be more energetic to teach and profound with the subject that has to be taught.
    Teacher must know the fact that each and every child is different, and they must be given an equal opportunity to speak and give their own point of view. Children are encouraged to say ‘I can’ rather than ‘I can’t’ that helps the child to gain confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, it is indeed a very good and useful platform for us to share and view our thoughts. I agree with all of you and tried to follow them also. Reading the piece has helped me a lot every day and I am trying to use the techniques as far as possible. The techniques mentioned by Ms Maestra were very innovative and useful for me. Further I would like to add that we as teachers should identify expectations for student behavior and communicate those expectations to students periodically. Students must be held accountable for their work. We teachers should use normal and natural voice, the students will mirror our voice. Instead we can differentiate our tone and speak only when students are quiet and ready. The method of holding one hand in the air and making eye contact is a great way to quiet the class and get their attention (this technique I usually practice).At the end I would just like to say, positive student behavior are most effectively developed and supported through relationship based on classroom practices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi all ~
    This is a wonderful opportunity to exchange our knowledge and learn the new techniques. The reading has surely helped me brush up the techniques I used while giving an opportunity to relate my classroom with Ms. Maerstra’s.
    I have tried most of the techniques in my classes and notice the most interesting technique in the Whole brain teaching is “Teach – Okay”. I was able to get the results every single time and the student response is getting fluent day by day.

    Children like talking about the content that they are learning and how they learn it. As rightly said by Chris Biffle Teach-Okay is not only a powerful language development skill for English speakers, but also for the huge number of students who do not hear English spoken at home.

    This technique is an excellent tool to get all the students in a unison immediately. By copying the gestures (kinesthetic) and miming the emotion in the teacher’s tone of voice (limbic) all the students are involved in self learning enhancement and that of their peers’ at the same time. They are not just listening but hearing seeing, saying and doing it. As a result the class is more fun and it makes the learning so much more powerful.

    The most unique of all is the ‘SWITCH’. It ensures that every single student is actively learning. While I used this in the class I noticed that the talkative students are forced to listen and the shy/ sit back relax students are required to instruct.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi all
    These are amazing techniques; especially Mirror and hands technique used By Mrs.Maestra in class to handle the students are simple and powerful. The memory gesture that she had used in teaching fractions is what I liked the most. I endorse with the Teach-okay procedure because it gives them the chance to use their energy to nourish themselves and their classmates learning. Each student must be made comfortable to speak in front of their classmates without any fear and a teacher should ensure that no child’s answer in class is ignored or avoided. To create an orderly classroom a teacher should make them follow the five classroom rules which helps them to become a good organizer. The concept of Big Seven said by Mrs.Maestra would really be helpful for me to handle the challengers of the class. We as teachers should be okay when a student makes mistake and also ensure that no one in class mocks him or her for their errors and this would actually help the child to gain confidence. Giving them an instantaneous rewards based on the answers they give will surely make the students feel motivated.
    Therefore, I would like to conclude the views shared by Mrs. Maestra in engaging the students by making each and every one in the classroom active and also giving strong bonding between teacher –student and student- student.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi everyone.It is really a great pleasure to have a platform like this for us to share our thoughts. I am new to this platform,and reading Ms.Maestra's article has helped me in handling my classes.I really liked the hand and mirror technique which I am practicing regularly in the class. I would like to add that as a teacher we should keep our message simple and clear. We should give students, time to change and some space. In the end I would like to add , teachers need build a positive class room environment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a fantastic platform for us teachers to share our best practices. Teaching would only become effective once the classroom procedures are well set.
    Out of all the strategies; I have been practicing the, ‘Hands and eyes’ to get the class attention before any important information is being announced. ‘Counting back’ is another strategy that I do for the children to be ready for the lesson. The children do make sure that they are back to their respective places. It helps me to set the class ready for a new lesson in minimum time.
    In the Whole Brain Teaching; ‘Teach-okay’ is one strategy that I found really interesting. Though it makes the class a little noisy, this would engage the students. As kids love to talk and mimic gestures, this technique would help them to get a clear understanding of new concepts. This would lead to an active classroom as well.
    As teachers, we need to help our students to develop their self-confidence. Correcting student errors with ‘it’s cool’ is a wonderful strategy for the same.
    Looking forward to the upcoming modules of the workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for providing this opportunity to share my views and learn as well from the other teachers about the different techniques and strategies they use.Mirror, hands and eyes helped me to understand things in a better way in my classroom and to organize it.I have been trying to follow the five classroom rules in my classroom inorder to manage it well.The rules have been set and told to them in detail to follow and the same has been done regularly and also they are reminded continuously to follow it.To a certain level I have found it succesful as students are trying to undertsand and follow things that are constantly told to them during the class and hence even confusions are been avoided due to this.

    ReplyDelete